A Walk Around my village.
Ellastone and Norbury Hollow.
Hi, I’m David from Market Town Meanders. Join me on a 2-hour guided leisurely amble around my quintessentially English village of Ellastone including Norbury Hollow. Explore its history from 9th century Saxon times, through the middle ages, a monastic abbey and a manor house and other buildings of interest to the present day. Understand how the modern-day settlement has evolved including the coming and going of a railway. You will see how they used waterpower a couple of hundred years ago compared to the modern hydro in use today.
- Listed buildings and churches
- Walk along the River Dove to view the hydroelectric scheme and fish ladder
- Discover local associations with George Elliot and Frederick Handel
- Ancient quarry source of stone for Calwich Abbey
- Explore off the beaten track on local footpaths. NB There are some stiles and the countryside can be muddy, participating in this tour is at your own risk, but please wear sensible footwear, and bring a waterproof.
Cost is £10 per person
Meet at 4pm at the bridge on the River Dove, Dove Street, Ellastone DE6 2GY where roadside parking is available.
Walks take place on Thursdays and Sundays; available dates are on the booking calendar. Duration 2 hours.
Alternatively, if you would like to arrange a group tour for 4 or more people at a time and day to suit you please contact me directly.
Take the next step
Join the Market Town Meanders Tribe be the first to receive news, information, tour details and exclusive special offers.
Copyright © Market Town Meanders 2019